Non-Executive Directors have the same general legal responsibilities to BSRIA as any other Director.
As members of the Board, all Directors are required to:
• Provide entrepreneurial leadership of BSRIA within a framework of prudent and effective controls which enable risk to be assessed and managed.
• Set BSRIA’s strategic aims, ensure that the necessary financial and human resources are in place for BSRIA to meet its objectives, and review management performance.
• Set BSRIA’s values and standards and ensure that its obligations to the Association and its members are understood and met.
This new Non-Executive Director would need to have a particular interest in digital issues, especially those connected with energy, building data analysis and artificial intelligence. Experience in and of BIM would also be of interest. The Board as a whole is collectively responsible for promoting the success of BSRIA by directing the company’s affairs. In addition to these requirements, which apply to all Directors, the Non-Executive Directors are required to participate actively in the decision– making processes of the Board.
• Strategy – The purpose of the NED is to constructively challenge and help in developing proposals on strategy
• Performance – Scrutiny of management’s performance in meeting agreed goals and objectives and the monitoring of performance reports
• Risk – Satisfying themselves on the integrity of financial information and that controls and risk management systems are robust and defensible
• People – Appointing and removing Executive Directors and succession planning, participating in the appointments panel as directed by the Chairman.
• In the case of the Chairman and immediate past Chairman to take part in the Remuneration panel and for other Non-Executive Directors take part in the Appointments panel and other Board groups as required.
Non-Executive Directors are expected to prepare for and attend three Board meetings each year and other events as appropriate from time to time. Failure to do this without permission to be absent from the Chairman will result in retirement from the Board. All Directors must be able to allocate sufficient time to perform their duties and responsibilities.
As provided for in the Articles and Rules of the Association NEDs are appointed for a period of three years with the possibility of renewal.
Skills and experience
The Board needs to reflect an appropriate balance of skills, experience, independence and knowledge of the company to enable it to discharge its duties and responsibilities effectively. Accordingly candidates will be expected to provide details of their careers and achievements and demonstrate the added value they will contribute to BSRIA.
This particular role is intended to bring a knowledge of digital developments especially those connected with energy, building data analysis and artificial intelligence. Experience in and of BIM would also be of interest.