N Zacharias, F Waßer, L Freier, K Spies, C Koch, S Pleischl, N Mutters, T Kistemann; Legionella in drinking water: the detection method matters. J Water Health 1 July 2023; 21 (7): 884–894.
- The type of culture media directly impacts reported Legionella spp. concentrations.
- The type of culture media directly impacts the types of Legionella spp. isolated.
- Over-reporting is mainly due to detection of non-pneumophila Legionella strains.
- Evidence-based clinical and epidemiological studies underpin that the vast majority of clinical legionellosis cases are linked to L. pneumophila.
- The same virulence should not be attributed to all strains of environmental Legionella spp.
- Control measures should consider strain-specific health risks.